ATLANTA — For community resources and other information, here’s a look at the news links featured on 11Alive News broadcasts.
You can watch 11Alive News every day on WXIA and on our sister station WATL.
The web links below are organized by date, with the newest links at the top.
Tuesday, Nov. 21
This week’s Weekend Watch features events that are fun for the whole family as you celebrate Thanksgiving. Here’s a look at what’s going on around the metro:
Monday, Nov. 20
Friends of Disabled Adults & Children (FODAC) is holding their annual ‘Breakfast with Santa’ fundraiser event on December 9th.
The family-friendly event will happen from 9:30 a.m. to noon at Rehoboth Baptist Church, located at 2997 Lawrenceville Highway in Tucker, Georgia.
The event is meant to raise funds for FODAC’s Pediatric Home Medical Equipment Program, which benefits more than 300 children every year by providing them with essential mobility equipment.
Click here to learn more.
Friday, Nov. 17
Gwinnett County poll official hiring events
The Gwinnett Voter Registrations and Elections Division is holding three hiring events to recruit poll officials as they prepare for the presidential election in March.
Residents who work as poll officials can earn up to $390 per election.
Gwinnett residents with diverse backgrounds who speak two or more languages are encouraged to attend and must bring two forms of identification to apply.
Below is a list of the three hiring events:
- Friday, Nov. 17, at the Lucky Shoals Park Community Center, 4651 Britt Road, Norcross. The event takes place from 4:00 p.m. to 7:00 p.m.
- Monday, Dec. 4, at the Gwinnett Voter Registrations and Elections Beauty P. Baldwin Building, Multipurpose Room, 455 Grayson Highway, Suite 200, Lawrenceville. The event takes place from 4:00 p.m. to 7:00 p.m.
- Monday, Dec. 18, at the Dacula Park Activity Building, 2735 Auburn Avenue, Dacula. The event takes place from 4:00 p.m. to 7:00 p.m.
Holiday Home Hunt is a local Atlanta initiative that helps people discover the best decorated homes. Submissions opened Nov. 16.
The home with the highest rating is awarded $1,000 and the nominator receives $500 (up to $1,500 if self-nominated).
Thursday, Nov. 16
This week’s Weekend Watch features events that will get you into the holiday spirit! Here’s a look at what’s going on around the metro:
Thursday, Nov. 9
This week’s Weekend Watch features events from Friday, Nov. 10- Sunday, Nov. 12. Here’s a look at what’s going on around the metro:
Thursday, Nov. 2
This week’s Weekend Watch features events from Friday, Nov. 3- Sunday, Nov. 5. Here’s a look at what’s going on around the metro:
Wednesday, Nov. 1
Monday, Oct. 30
- Diwali in Dunwoody Festival will celebrate the Festival of Lights with a three-day event series. Organizers for the festival vows a diverse range of events that will capture the essence of the holiday.
Thursday, Oct. 26
This week’s Weekend Watch features events from Friday, Oct. 27 – Sunday, Oct. 29. Here’s a look at what’s going on around the metro:
Thursday, Oct. 19
- This week’s Weekend Watch features events from Friday, Oct. 20- Sunday, Oct. 22. Here’s a look at what’s going on around the metro:
Old Fourth Ward Arts Festival
Stone Mountain Highland Games
CDC Ghosts of Segregation Exhibit
HarvestFest on the Square in Marietta
- Black Love Summit in Atlanta, founded by Tommy and Codie Elaine Oliver in 2018, brings together Black singles and couples for candid discussions on love, partnership, and community. Held in Los Angeles (2018), Atlanta (2019), and virtually (2020), the event features favorite couples from the Black Love docuseries, addressing topics from dating to parenting. Attendees gain insights to enhance relationships from the honest experiences of featured speakers.
Friday, Oct. 13
- aLoft Movie Night is an event that will give back to film workers currently being affected by the writers strike. An Atlanta film custom designer, Icy White, is hosting the movie night on Saturday, Oct. 14 starting at 7 p.m. The event will be held at the aLoft downtown Atlanta location on Ted Turner Drive.
Thursday, Oct. 5
This week’s Weekend Watch features events from Friday, Oct. 13 – Sunday, Oct. 15. Here’s a look at what’s going on around the metro:
Thursday, Oct. 5
Friday, Sept. 29
- Hands on Atlanta will hold its annual ‘week of service’ from Sept. 30 through Oct. 7. Known as the metro’s largest week of service, 250 volunteer events and 3,000 volunteers will tackle the city’s most pressing needs.
Thursday, Sept. 28