Buckingham Palace has hired independent external investigators to handle the inquiry into claims that the Duchess of Sussex bullied royal staff, it has been reported.
Royal officials have decided that a third-party law firm should handle the investigation rather than an in-house inquiry, according to the Sunday Times.
A spokesman for Buckingham Palace said on Monday: “Our commitment to look into the circumstances around allegations from former staff of The Duke and Duchess of Sussex is being taken forward but we will not be providing a public commentary on it.”
Harry and Meghan did not comment on Monday, but a spokesperson for the couple previously dismissed bullying accusations reported by The Times newspaper as “defamatory.”
“Let’s just call this what it is — a calculated smear campaign based on misleading and harmful misinformation,” the Sussexes’ spokesperson said. “We are disappointed to see this defamatory portrayal of The Duchess of Sussex given credibility by a media outlet.”